10.26.2010

Outgrown pants? Let's make a purse! Sew Along

My daughter is finally growing like a weed. I say finally because she has been shorter than the other girls her age pretty much her whole life. I can't see on top of the fridge so she comes by her size naturally. LOL

She outgrew these pants. SO! Lets make a purse. This is a pretty easy sewing project. It didn't involve any measuring. The inches depend on the size of pants you are cutting up. These are size 7 lined pants from Old Navy.
 
You will need:
Sewing machine and thread
Sissors
pants, skirt or shorts your little one has out grown
Optional:
Ribbon and Humor
  
(1)Cut the pants off at the crotch area. If you want to save the pockets so that you have them  as functional on the purse be sure to slide them up before cutting. Turn inside out, sew straight across. (2) Line the bottom seam you just made up to the side seam ans sew across it, pretty sure this is called a gusset. All I know is that it makes the purse have a flat bottom.
   
Turn it right side out (3). You can be done at this point by jsut putting a strap on, running ribbon through the belt loops and tying a pretty bow.
  
If you want a flap lets keep going.
Cut down one seam on one of the pant legs (4) and lay that fabric out. This will be the flap. Cut it to the size and shape you would like. If you want rounded flap, use a plate to draw the shape into the back of the fabric before you cut. We did a straight flap because it's basic and basic is what we do! :) Make your hems around the flap.
  
Aurora's pants have that elastic band in them to adjust. We decided to keep the elastic. If you are too make sure you up hook it for this next step. Lay the flap in where you would like (5). Mine ended up with the cargo pocket off center, this is where I tell you that pinning is a good thing. ;) lol Sew it on. If you're keeping the elastic go ahead now and tighten it up. 
   
(6)Use the other pant leg to cut a strip for the purse strap. Sew it into a tube and turn it out. Then top stitch the sides down like any purse strap or camera strap. You can just leave it as a tube. You could even cut 3 strips and braid them or use ribbon.
          
Whatever you make as a strap, sew it on (7)

You could add a button or velcro to the flap if you feel that you need it as well. Decorate away!

You can do this with just about anything your kids outgrow. We made a blue jean one a while back. 

 So that's it. Here's my daughter, Aurora modeling her purse. She loves things being made into other things. She's pretty easy to please. :D


Happy crafting! I hope you all have a great Halloween!! We are having amazing weather here in AR, so this is going to be great!
 




17 comments:

Kathy and Lucky said...

wow that is the best purse made out of pants I have ever seen, it does not even look like it was pants. Great job.

Keva said...

Wow..that is SO awesome! You did a fabulous job with those pants.

Elizabeth said...

Wow - what a talent! The purse looks amazing. You are so clever.

Laurie HIMCR said...

That's amazing!! TFS!

Lisa said...

I love that purse. I remember making them out of jeans when I was a teen but they never looked that good.
I'm loving this AR weather! It could stay like this year round and I'd be happy.

HappyCrafter said...

What a fabulous idea for recycling, I will have to try this out! Thank you so much for the step by step photos!!

KER said...

way to repurpose/recycle/reuse...i used to do this with my daughter's jeans...great memories...and they are craft fair best sellers too

Elisabeth said...

So cool, I should try one out for my DD, thanks for the tutorial!

jimlynn said...

So cute and what a great way to re-cycle!!! Wonderful.
Lynn

Anne Marie Hile said...

Very, very cool! Such a great way to re-use outgrown clothes. The bag looks awesome! Great tutorial, too. Thanks! :)

Wingnut said...

I remember making purses like that back in the late 70's/early 80's!!

Anonymous said...

Superb blog post, I have book marked this internet site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future!

Naturally Me Creations said...

How cute is that?! :D Too bad i can't sew...

cheaphandbagslover said...

Gorgeous! You have mention good post above I really enjoy the information. I wish to come again on your site in future

olivia john said...

Awesome
Arts and Crafts Library

Anonymous said...

this post is very usefull thx!

The Family Circus said...

This is fantastic! Posted pictures on my blog. Thanks!