3.12.2009

Easy Moss Terrarium

I've been seeing these awesome moss terrariums on etsy.com and I love them. The problem is that I just can't justify paying $40 for a kit that contains about $9 of things, most of which I had around my house anyway.
Here's what you need:
Glass container with a lid (anywhere from Walmart to Hobby Lobby)
Activated Carbon (aquairum supply isle of most stores)
Rocks (I used what was left over out of a bag from the $1 store)
Moss (or clovers ro whatever you have growing around the tree out back) If you don't have moss out back ask your friends. It's pretty common and can even be found in parks if you live in the city. You don't need much and you don't have to dig a hole, just loosen it from the ground with a spoon or spade and pull it up.
              
This is so easy a child could do it. In fact, mine did. Layer the items like this: rocks on bottom, then carbon (keeps the smell away and stops fungus growth), soil is next and finally add the moss. Once everything is in like you'd like it to look wet it and put the top on. You can add cute things like clay mushrooms or little figures. Keep in indirect sunlight. Water only if it gets dry. TaDa!
                
You just saved enough money by doing it yourself to make a quick stop at the craft store.     : ) 
         
Now I want to make a really cute one is a pretty apothecary jar for me. This one my little girl did for her room.

6 comments:

Ellibelle said...

This is definatley something fun to do for the kids. Thanks for sharing how to do it.

Denise said...

Thanks for the info! I noticed some really pretty moss in the yard just the other day. I will give this a try for sure.

Have a great day, Denise

Anonymous said...

Wow Elizabeth, I'm loving all of the recent projects! This looks like fun for the kids. The cards you posted are wonderful...I'm loving the tree stamp set...oh no not another set to add to my wishlist!

Veronica Z said...

Your terrarium is so cool. We have all kinds of critters that would love a cozy home like that. I guess when my little one gets bigger he will be bringing things home all the time! Will have to remember your tutorial!

Sharon said...

Oh...I think my daughter would love to do this and make a "Fairy Habitat"! She loves the book Fairy Houses by Tracy Kane.

FRACTAL KING said...

Wow!!!! I used to do that back in my high-school days, thats awesome!!